Saturday 14 April 2018

Ed Sheeran was Back in Manila and It was Perfect | Ed Sheeran 2018 Divide Tour Manila


I knew I would not miss his comeback concert in Manila after missing his Multiply concert last 2015 here! This show was supposed to happen in November 2017 but got rescheduled due to his accident. I was more okay for it to be rescheduled than totally cancelled because I really want to watch him live!

I pride myself a casual fan of Ed, I love his songs so much, I can sing most of them. My favorite song from his entire discography so far is I’m A Mess. I relate to the feelings of the song so much it was my anthem when I was so frustrated with what was happening in my life at the time. ‘I’m A Mess’ captured the exact emotion I was having and it’s so therapeutic that someone is giving me the same angst that I was feeling the same way it’s therapeutic that I can sing out my angst by singing the song. I just really felt the connection. I’ve been listening to Ed since Plus, and love his songs but that was the first time I connected to a song in that degree. I know I’m gonna sought out this artist with his future albums because of that connection. And that connection really is the secret to enjoying his songs, his concert, his performance. To all artist, in fact. To all things if we’re generalizing it. But for the sake of this post, I want to focus with Ed Sheeran.

The Divide Tour in Manila took place last April 8 at the Mall of Asia Concert Grounds. It is this big parking lot most days that turns into a sick concert venue when it needs to. LMAO. I like concert grounds because of the vibe. But I agree that I’d rather have some sections elevated so everyone at the back can still see the stage. But it is what it is.
Ed didn’t have a front act for this show. I’m not sure if it is because this is the rescheduled show. I know UK has a front act, he just announced it. But having no front act felt different. The energy level was waning as we wait for the show to start. The music the organizers chose to play in the venue were like lulling us to sleep.

So when Ed came out of the stage, there’s no warm up whatsoever, he’s just suddenly there and he’s playing Castle on the Hill, and I realized I didn’t need to warm up my hype. Ed was enough to hype me. LMAO.

The show was amazing. It was everything I hoped it would be. I hyped myself for this because I really liked Ed. We even watched Jumpers for GoalPost before we go to the venue. I tried to learn his raps (but couldn’t perfect it). His setlist was my playlist for the whole week. And even then, I was scared that General Admission will be too far for me to enjoy the show. Or like idk, I was kinda nervous what if I hyped myself too much. LOL.

But no.
I enjoyed it the whole time. I danced to every song. I sang my heart out. I jumped harder than ten thousand rocks on the lake. It looked like we’re in the wrong section, my sisters and I, because we were so into it and the General Admission section was kinda, uhm, dull? Some people don’t know the songs and it hurts me but that’s okay, baby, only words bleed inside these pages.

Again, because one way to enjoy Ed’s shows is too relate and connect to his music and the rest will follow.

It was funny and kind of amazing to see people go cray during Photograph, Perfect and especially Thinking Out Loud because that was probably the most played song of Ed ever here in the Philippines. Everyone brought out their phones and record the screen or the stage. Sing shalalalalalalala

Ed went on stage by 9pm and the show was finished by around 10:45pm He performed 20-ish songs with Don’t and New Man mashup and a bit of Feelin’ Good cover.

2 songs from Plus. 8 songs from Multiply. 1 cover. 9 songs from Divide. So blown away by all the Multiply songs, I love that album! He also sang Tenerife Sea. It wasn’t in this year’s tour setlist, or was it? He sang it and it’s amazing. LUMIERE DARLING LUMIERE OVER ME.

My favorite performance were I’m A Mess, Dive, Sing, Don’t, Galway Girl, Bloodstream, Tenerife Sea, Photograph and You Need Me, I Don’t Need You.

Ed has such an amazing talent, an amazing voice and the emotion that he put (or not putting but just effortlessly shows) in his every song is beyond me. I appreciate that he offers a unique concert experience to the audience by presenting himself with his loop pedal and 2 microphones and give a fucking good time. Without disregarding the production team behind the stage, but it’s legit a one-man show when he get up on stage and he nailed it.

Different concerts have different productions depending on the artists’ type of music and style. Each have a different concert experience so there’s no need to compare. I just thought I’d put that out there.






No comments:

Post a Comment