Saturday 12 May 2018

ALL THE LOVE TO HARRY STYLES | Harry Styles Live on Tour Manila


It felt surreal to see Harry Styles live it almost felt like when I saw One Direction live for the first time in Singapore - like I can’t believe that what just happened happened to me. Like in utter awe to the whole thing then I don’t know how to feel or react afterwards like I need to process what happened and then slowly it starts syncing in that I just watched Harry Styles, my favorite One Direction member perform and it was amazing. As you probably know by now (because it’s also in my bio and I have a page dedicated to One Direction in this blog) that I’m a solid One Direction trash. I have been a fan for a long time and I continue to be - even when there’s 1D drought because hiatus though there's really not a drought because solo music. But I’m also being a sentimental idiot because seeing Harry alone felt kind of different because the last time I saw Harry live was when One Direction performed here in Manila as a 4-piece (it was a fantastic night) and seeing him performing solo felt like a punch in the gut because I always associated every member of 1D as one, in a band. But don’t get me wrong, this is all in a good way. Harry gave his best and he did a very good job in giving the best show every night and I’m just so so proud for him and I’m proud to be his fan. I’m just feeling a bit sentimental when I think about it.

The Manila concert was held on May 1, 2018 - it was Labor day and though nobody cares, it was also my 8 years work anniversary. It was sweet to celebrate it by going to Harry’s show. Philippines was the first show in his Asian leg of the tour. The concert took place in Mall of Asia Arena, with attendance of around 14k. It was sold out! The organizers actually added more seats the weekend before his concert and those too have been sold out despite having an obstructed view.
The line outside was cray even though it was reserved seating in the arena. It was unorganized - not surprising but I just thought they’ve been an expert in controlling the crowd already but, unfortunately, no. The line in the merchandise stand outside was enough to give you a headache only to know that there were other merch stands inside the arena. HSHQ didn’t post where the merch store will be, that’s why.

By 8pm, the front act, Warpaint, came out of the stage. They were fine. I couldn’t hear much of their song because their echo was too loud. By 8:45pm, the Rubik's cube solving intro came out and we go nuts but the video played for a good 15 minutes so, LOL. You know what, I’m done with people saying Harry hates One Direction and like how he doesn’t mention them. I don’t care, it’s his solo thing. He played 4 One Direction songs in his concert. The first one was before the show started, they played the studio version of Olivia. And of course, he performed 3 One Direction songs (Stockholm Syndrome, If I Could Fly and What Makes You Beautiful).

The show started at 9pm and ended at 10:30pm. The 1.5 hours was jam packed full of memories. We have a nice view of the stage as my sister and I were seated in Lower Box B Section 215. My other sister was seated in Gen Ad Section 218 (the obstructed view section).

The concert was everything I hoped it would be and more because Harry is so good and hearing his songs live is an amazing experience as a fan. Always. Plus, the fans, I thought most of the fans turned into a KPop fan which they probably did (nothing wrong with that) but they still like One Direction - it’s so amazing to see that One Direction still has an impact even during hiatus and solo career. Imagine the mania when they come back.

The dance moves of Harry were gold, I live for it! He performed 17 songs! All 10 from his debut album, 5 cover songs (3 of which are 1D covers) and 2 new songs (not so new) of his that he only perform live since the 2018 tour started. I bet he likes to see us thirst for the studio version of Medicine and Anna (COME ON RELEASE IT!)
It was quite magical when Harry sang Just A Little Bit of Your Heart (an Ariana Grande cover, Harry wrote the song), the fans showed the lights from their phone while singing oh-oh-oh-oh. Ever since the fans knew Harry wrote this song, we didn’t stop asking for the Harry version of it that he sure did when he gave the song to Ariana. And this was it! Sort of. He didn’t even change the pronouns (because that’s how he wrote it)!

He has a B-stage and his walk from the main stage to the B-stage was always crucial because the fans who are in the aisle literally go crazy and forget that he’s human and just grabs him and touch him and ugh, do not do that to Harry. He peformed 2 songs in B-stage, the most Larry songs on his setlist - Sweet Creature and If I Could Fly. During these 2 songs, fans turn on their phones and showed different lights in the colors of a rainbow (each section has an assigned color).

Harry said Filipino words!!
First was ‘Mabuhay’ during Woman and ‘Magandang Gabi, Pilipinas’ after Woman. And I think he also said ‘Nagpahinga lang’ but I wasn’t able to record it nor anyone actually heard it so maybe it was just my imagination. But, he said Filipino words and I am so happy!!!!!
Fan interaction was standard, I mean, that’s what he always do in other countries and it’s fine. I appreciated that he didn’t say like “this is the loudest crowd ever” or that “this is his favorite of his tour so far” haha.

My favorite performance were Only Angel (his dance moves is everything), all the 1D covers because we go cray especially during What Makes You Beautiful, Medicine, Anna, Two Ghosts, Sign of the Times, and Kiwi!!!

I saw a couple of pride flags outside the Arena which is really nice to see. No one brought a Philippine flag during the event because it will be disrespectful. Kudos on that, Filipino concert-goers! Harry brought his own rainbow flag and he waved it during What Makes You Beautiful and it really was beautiful.

And guys, it will not slip on me that he said “I’LL SEE YOU NEXT TIME” before he sang Kiwi when he said his ‘thank yous’ and ‘i love yous’.
HE’LL SEE US NEXT TIME? LIKE WHEN? WITH ONE DIRECTION? WITH HIS SECOND ALBUM? WHAT WHEN HOW AAAAHHHHHHH



No comments:

Post a Comment