Monday 6 October 2014

THE MAZE RUNNER Movie Thoughts and Feels

THE MAZE RUNNER Movie Thoughts and Feels



SYNOPSIS:

The Maze Runner is based on the bestselling book The Maze Runner, first book in the trilogy, by James Dashner which was released in 2009. The story is about Thomas when he was sent to the Glade without any memory aside from his name. Inside the Glade, Thomas met a group of teenage boys who like him have no memory of their past before they were sent to the Glade. All of them didn't know who they were before, where they came from, or why they were sent in the Glade. The Glade is the place where these teenage boys spent their everyday lives, it's where they eat, sleep, and work. These teenage boys call themselves Gladers. The Glade has four walls surrounding it, or enclosing it is a much better word because they were trapped in the Glade. Thomas, from the first time he came out from the elevator that sent him in the Glade, was very curious about his surroundings. He always asks questions; questions that even Gladers don't know the answers to. He's very curious about why they were sent there and how are they going to get out. For 3 years, the Gladers have not found their way out but that doesn't stop them from looking that's why they always send a group of Gladers outside the Glade to look for a way out. Outside the Glade is a big maze and a group of Gladers called Maze Runner is being sent to the maze everyday to study the maze so they could find their way out but to no avail. Having learned the job of the maze runners and because he badly wants to get out, Thomas wants to be one.


THOUGHTS AND FEELS:

When I first became a fan of Dylan O'Brien after I binge-watched Teen Wolf and I learned that he will be the lead in the adaptation of The Maze Runner, I immediately bought and read the book to prepare for the movie. Because, yeah, the only reason why I will watch and read the book is Dylan O'Brien.
I have high expectation with the movie basically because again, Dylan. I trust his acting/project choice so much.

I liked the book I think it was interesting amid the overflowing dystopian novels out there. I didn't continue with book 2 and 3, but someday.

THE MOVIE WAS FANTASTIC.
It was better than the book. The experience I had in the maze while watching was much better than when I'm reading it.
The directors did great. The acting was strong. The world was carefully adapted and I'm so glad that book-to-movie adaptations these days (or since THG) were top-notched and adapted as honest as they could.

Some will probably think I'm biased because I like Dylan but maybe I am. :) Although, I have some issues with the adaptation per se that I'll talk about in a few.

What I really like and appreciate in TMR Movie

The acting.
The acting was superb. To my surprise it's not just Dylan's acting that make this movie so good but the acting of all the actors there. Amazing casting indeed. One who really stood out for me was Tomas Sangster who played Newt because he was so cute.. I mean, good. :)
I think one of my favorite scenes was when they sent Ben to the Maze while they were holding their sticks.

The maze.
The maze in the movie was creepier than it was in the book. Okay I know it's changing and it holds the grievers but as a maze itself? It's not at all terrifying. But in the movie, they let you see how dangerous and scary it will be when the maze changes or when you fail to get out of it before it closes. Amazing cinematography. Amazing effect. My favorite scene was when Minho and Thomas first found the exit to the maze through the griever's "compass" which was funny the compass thing. But after that, the maze changed and it was great I was on the edge of my seat screaming.

The phase.
First part is kinda dragging as it is in the book but then I was a bit worried because we are kinda halfway but there's a lot of things that we still didn't see in the movie but then yeah, they did it and it didn't feel that they cut out a lot of action scenes because the phase was so good. They were able to fit important steps on how they're gonna get out of the maze. It's different but they got the steps.

The bonfire.
The bonfire at the beginning after Thomas was sent to the Glade was amazing. It wasn't in the book but it's just a goody feel that they just hang out, drink. Maybe it's the music. It's a cool scene. It's one of my favorites.

But then I have 2 issues with the movie. Well yes they changed a lot from the book which would be okay (I think it was okay generally) but then these:

First, the relationship among Gladers.
There are little (if not none) relationships shown in the movie. In the book you would feel the friendships that's going around the Glade before Thomas came in and the friendship that Thomas created when he got there. The movie was a bit long and some first scenes are dragging I hope they showed it there.
Relationship that I would like to see in the movie but didn't:
Thomas-Newt
Newt-Albie
Thomas-Chuck
Thomas-Minho

Second, the way they found the code in the exit.
In the movie, Minho recited it based on the sequence the door of the maze opens. But in the book, I think it was a wow-moment that they found the code through the everyday drawings of the maze of the runners. This, however, is forgivable given that it might take some time and might not have a huge impact to the story. I just thought it's brilliant.

But then despite these 2 issues I greatly enjoyed TMR movie! 

Personal rating: 95%

Thanks for reading this! Share your thoughts about the movie and the book! What did you and didn't you like about the movie?

Love, Kaye