Wednesday 1 April 2015

INSURGENT Thoughts and Feels About Movie Adaptation

First and foremost..
*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER FOR BOTH BOOK AND MOVIE*

I’ve watched Insurgent last night and I was totally shocked with how they adopted my favorite book in the series.

I get how book two in a series could be dragging because it usually is. Book two usually isn’t the strong one in a series either because it’s just a follow up of the first book, or it could lead to a totally different plot that we aren’t used to (in book 1). I guess, that’s Insurgent for me. But either way, it was my favorite book because I got to see different factions when Tris and Four and the some of the survivors of the simulation attack visited each faction even the hide-out of the factionless. But yeah, I hated Tris for almost half of the book but she came right through in the end.

The movie was horrible. I’m sorry but it really was. I mean, the effects were on point, the graphics, the animation and the cinematography were done well, the acting were okay, but the plot was ridiculous. It was very different from the book. To me, as a fan, it went the wrong way.


How it went bad to terrible:

I don’t know what to expect to be honest. I haven’t watched any trailer after that first trailer with Tris and her mom which I think threw me off the first time. I haven’t reread the book and resigned myself not to reread it because if it’s a good movie it will feel like I’ve read the book again. It looked like I remember the book when I’m watching the movie not because it’s good but because I remember it’s not what happened in the book! Anyway, I entered the cinema still unbiased and I’ve got quite a low expectation, quite, because I saw a lot of people liked it.



Tris’ hair. I’m sorry I know it’s just hair but it was pretty symbolic to Tris and reminds her of her mother that’s why she cut it. Take note, SHE cut it herself. But her hair in the movie was so high fashion and so stylish I can’t even look at her because I don’t think she belong with any of them. I always imagined for it to be short and a bit unruly, rough not like you hired a hairstylist for it.



The factions weren’t properly explored. I get it. I get that there’s only 2 hours for this movie but I really hope that they take time to know the faction, like throw a bit of them getting to know Amity, Factionless and Candor because it will be the first time we will see them. Although, yes, they don’t specifically played a big part in the coming scenes but knowing them could add substance to the Divergent world. They didn’t even show how Amity maintain the peace and love and harmony (yeah, the drugs in the bread). I can’t believe there’s a tree in the middle of their compound, was it in the book? Do they have to show the logo of Amity? What even that tree have to do with the peace-loving Amity? I don’t know apart from it’s their logo.



Those factionless in the train, though, was pretty badass, I like the little action until Four mentioned his real name. They didn’t get to explore how factionless was able to survive and how much the people there felt a bit free of their own skin not being tied up to one faction. That there’s a lot of Divergent in factionless.



Candor was very interesting when I read it in the book because it’s the faction that I won’t be able to qualify and I don’t want to be. So anyway, so the truth serum right. So Tris and Four are Divergent, right, meaning, cannot be controlled because they are immune to serums thus making them aware and conscious that they are in simulation, that it isn’t real. But for some reason, they were affected by truth serum, why is that you ask? Well, because it wasn’t a good adaptation. In the book, Four struggled a bit to fight the truth serum but Tris didn’t even flinch, she wasn’t affected at all, meaning, she can lie all she want (although she chose not to) and the people in Candor won’t know because they have faith in their truth serum. But since Tris is a Divergent she is immune to serums and truth serum is no exception. She confessed that she killed Will on her own not because truth serum forced her. But in the movie, she’s not immune? And like she’s constipated while fighting the truth serum. It was horrible to watch, I am sorry.



But the most insane thing that ever happened in the movie was THE BOX. The box they found out in Prior’s manor when they attack Abnegation.

I was really laughing inside with that box, and only a divergent powerful enough to complete the simulation will be the one to open it? Oh my god!



Again, sorry, but it was ridiculous. The simulation the divergent has to go through was mad I thought I’d lose it. There are, I don’t know what you call it, but it’s like a cord, 8 cords with needle that contain the simulation. Every simulation will test the Divergent’s ability in Dauntless, Erudite, Amity, Candor, and Abnegation and when the Divergent passed all 5 simulated tests, the box will open.


Another funny thing was the divergent-o-meter, lol, the one Eric used to determine the Divergent level of Divergents by scanning their face. IT WAS FUNNY. Of course, Tris got 100%.



The supposedly execution of Tris was by far my most favorite scene in the book because that was very intense and exciting and that was the time Tris woke up and got back to her old self again. It was kinda downplayed in the movie. L



The whole Erudite thing in the movie was a mess.



Let me explain the whole thing that happened in Erudite. According to the book.

Forgive me if I missed anything, this just came to me after watching that whole Erudite fiasco. Spoiler ahead.



First, you have to know that in the book, Jeanine already knew what’s in the box. But okay, before this, let me tell you there’s no box whatsoever.

I’m not really sure but I don’t think they found anything when they attack the Abnegation. Tris’ mother and father and Marcus were successful in hiding the files to Jeanine. In the book, Jeanine already knew the video of their founder. She has it on one of her computers in the Erudite building.

Jeanine was scared that people from Chicago will learn about the truth, that video. And she will do everything just so no one will get to this video. She was totally hungry for power. And for her to be able to protect the truth, and protect her position, she needs to control every living people inside the Chicago and that is by a tracking serum, I’m not sure what it’s called but through that, once that is installed in a person, Jeanine can always activate it then that person will be under her control and will listen to her instructions. This will work if the person is not Divergent because Divergents are immune to simulations/serums or basically anything that Jeanine created. So it is a constant struggle for Jeanine to develop a serum that will make Divergents under her control.

So Jeanine wants to study the behavior of the Tris’ brain. Tris will be her subject in developing a serum for Divergents. And she summoned Tris by those suicides and attacks in the Candor. Tris then went to Erudite and she became Jeanine’s subject. But Jeanine still can’t figure out how to create a serum for Tris because whatever she created when it was tested to Tris, Tris usually got back to her senses and realized that she is under simulation and that was failure for Jeanine.

Jeanine gave up and ordered execution for Tris. But Peter saved the day. All this time Jeanine knew that Tris was dead. Then they went out of Erudite, regroup with factionless then they plan on attacking Erudite only Tris has other plan.

To make long story short, after that attack with Erudite, they played the video and it was the end of the book.



Okay, see how the plot about the simulation of tris to open the box in the movie was so misleading with the real story in the book? Argh.



Okay. In the book, everyone was confused with the message in the video (also because the book ended there) but continuing on Allegiant, the people in Chicago didn’t have an inkling to leave Chicago because they can’t. The gates are surrounded by factionless to guard it. By Allegiant, Evelyn is the new Jeanine. It was only Tris and Four and some of their friends who want to know the truth and want to learn what’s out there. BUT IN THE MOVIE, immediately after they watched the video, they went to the gate and I just went nuts. And gave up with this movie. Good thing, it was the end.



I don’t know why there’s a need to change the plot but it just doesn’t fit. Divergent was a great adaptation and Insurgent just wasn’t.



What are your thoughts about the adaptation of Insurgent? Where you satisfied? Did you think it’s great? Let me know!
 Love, Kaye