Saturday 26 September 2015

QUEEN OF SHADOWS Thoughts and Feels


We are now in the 4th book (out of 6) of the Throne of Glass series and so much have happened. So much that ToG felt like a lifetime away but in Erilea's world, it was only 9 months that have passed.

I don't know where to start because this book was a full of happenings and problems and adventures. What I'm sure of is that this post will spoil you the WHOLE series. I recommend this series - it was such an action-pack filled fantasy and adventure (and ships, if you're into that).

I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars rating on Goodreads. Initial rating was actually 5 stars because the ending was amazing but after hearing and reading some reviews and reflecting my own thoughts and feelings based on what I've read and peoples' reaction toward the book, I changed it to 4 stars.

First and foremost, I just want to just put this one out in the bag: this series has turned into ship wars. I HATE THAT. I'm disappointed by what the author did to the story that it centered on the ships when they have a bigger fish to fry. I just - I DIDN'T BUY THIS AND READ THIS SERIES BECAUSE OF THE SHIP/S. I'M HERE FOR THE STORY.

Dorian. 
Dorian's chapter was very gripping and it felt true and you can empathize and feel sorry for him with what he's going through. I am hopeful that he's not yet gone but with every chapter it felt like maybe he is gone? Like when that time the demon inside him ate people's despair etc, Dorian said it tasted good! But then when Manon looked into the Valg Prince/Dorian's eyes, Dorian emerged! It was amazing especially when Manon let Aelin know by sending a message that he was still inside! Maybe it has to be Manon and not Aelin to be the one to see that he's still there because SJM is brewing a new ship that is Dorian and Manon. I want Dorian to be happy and I like Manon but he is still mending over Sorcha! Why give him a new love interest. Dorian was left in the castle in Rifthold alone to rule on his own while Aelin and her court travelled back home to Terrasen and Chaol will leave for Southern Continent to heal his paralyzed legs. They left him alone - what if Perrington and Vernon went to Rifthold and decided to kill Dorian? He said he's having nightmares about being controlled by the King and the Valg prince; My theory is that after being possessed by a valg prince, Dorian will have a bit of struggle to get back to who he was before he was possessed because I think that the valg demon was still "inside him" somehow that we will see glimpses of that ruthless eyes still haunting him because maybe he has darken something, some part inside his heart? I don't know. I'm having fan theory.

Dorian and Aelin's friendship. 
She didn't even remember that they were friends; only when Manon warned her that Dorian was still inside and Aelin only said so when he came back. But it feels like she had forgotten all that happened in books 1 and 2

Dorian and Chaol's friendship. 
Still solid, thank the gods. Learning Chaol's "death" was what made Dorian wake up from being possesed by the Valg prince.

Arobynn Hamel.
I like that the first few chapters we met Arobynn already. Straightforward. We know she's so ready to kill him. But there's a shift in some circumstances and Aelin chose to bide her time. I knew he's gonna get killed but I didn't think she'll succeed because he was her Master. And to actually defeat a Master, much more the King of Assassins, you must be pretty tough and clever. I don't know, but Arobynn's death feels pretty easy. What I like though was that Aelin has a plan and we know nothing about it and it's amazing that the readers don't know about her plans and we're just getting hit by it in our faces. It was wonderful. Holy shit when Arobynn slipped the "valg prince's ring" and I THOUGHT AELIN WAS BEING POSSESSED IT WAS too much. Arobynn's death was still pretty easy. I don't have any theory because I think he's dead. I thought he'll have bigger arc than this like maybe conspired with the king or the duke about some business thing. But no, nada. Just some assassin who we didn't see his skill as an assassin just some observations from Aelin that he was fast and yeah a very dirty money-whore business man. Also, who has been sending his letters after his massacre about Lysandra and her magic. Was it the same letter that Vernon gave to Manon to read about the rebels and Aelin and Aedion and the Fae Prince?

Lysandra.
WOW. Okay, SJM, you did great on this one! I love Lysandra's character and her story arc. I like how she was introduced to us in the Assassin's Blade as the arch-rival of Celaena when they were all in Assassin's Keep. Now, I understand why Sam's treatment to her is different - like he saw past her being courtesan and this is the reason why! She also has magic! That was amazing. I like the friendship of her and Celaena it's a new perspective of Celaena's character when she cares for a friend of the same sex. Like her friendship with Nehemia. All of Lysandra's scenes were amazing. When she's being funny and sassy around Aedion and Aelin and Rowan. When they rescued her. Her killing Arobynn. Her being a spy to what Arobynn was planning. I like to see more of Lysandra in the next books.

Aedion Ashryver.
He is half-Fae! His father is one of Rowan's cadre - ancient! That was one of some big revelations. Although, I don't really get to see him fight in this book. He just became a border to Aelin's apartment. He didn't do anything! Did he?

RANT: We don't know anything about their plan and it's okay. But. But, I think they were all doing what Aelin has planned all along and it made them incapable somehow? We want Aelin to take charge, yes, but she was disregarding who her alliances are. How strong these men are. How capable they are. It felt (at least to me) like she's like this because she is validating that she is the Queen of Terrasen.

I don't have anything to say to Aedion other than we didn't see him in action.

Chaol. 
I thought it was only me who feels off with Chaol's character. The whole time whenever there's a Chaol scene I was like - he's like this and Chaol was my favorite character? What even? Turned out (thanks to the reviews that I've read and watched for pointing it out), apparently, SJM ruined his character so we could favor Rowan. Or THIS Chaol was done to give way to Rowaelin. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. You probably only hear negative reviews about QoS from those who like Chaol from the beginning. He's totally different from books 1 and 2. He make peace with magic and Aelin's past and future in Heir of Fire and all of those were forgotten. Aedion and Chaol were a team in HoF, they worked together but we didn't see that. He has become rebel without a cause because he has no plans. Suddenly, he doesn't know what to do. I know my ship is Chaoleana and that was titanic already but ship or no ship - Chaol was one of the first characters in this series and to actually do this to him? I don't how can SJM reclaim (or if she has plan to reclaim) his character when she poured it all on Rowan. One of the things I like Chaol is he can put Celaena to her place like he's not easily charmed by her - it was really nice. Now everyone is thinking Aelin is perfect and they adored her oh probs her head is too big now.


RANT: I will continue reading the series because story-wise it is enjoyable. Plot-wise it is carefully written. The only problem really is the characters and Gods I hope SJM forgets the ships for a while and focus on each character's strength and story arc.

Chaol and Nesryn. 
This wasn't necessary and maybe written so that Chaol has a love interest and not look pity around Rowaelin. Fuck the ships I hope it all sunk. Nesryn as Nesryn The Rebel Faliq was actually quite good. Not an interesting character but I hope we get to know more about her.

Manon.
She continues to be an interesting character. I like that she has sympathy for humans and it's not perfect but she's learning it even though it is not necessary in their heritage. I think Dorian and Manon will be a thing so Manon can have some more human feelings. Which is great, I'm excited to see this although I hope it will be a while because Sorcha.

One of my favorite scenes is the Manon and Celaena battle. It was epic! I can see it in my head. The much long awaited face-to-face meet-up of Manon and Aelin did not disappoint. Yes! I like that Aelin saved her because she's more capable of having human feelings than Manon and it was amazing because Manon's true character have emerged.

Elide.
I think I need to more about her to place a specific feeling toward her.

What Kaltain did is a revelation that the valg price inside can be defeated. Something that Dorian wasn't able to do? And they both have magic.

Rowan.
I like Rowan in Heir of Fire and maybe in the first fee chapters where I'm waiting for him to show up. I like that he's ancient and know so much about the Fae world as he is one. It's like gaining a perspective toward Faes because I don't know anything about them and here's Rowan who is an ancient Fae. Then, Aelin was able to crack the wall that Rowan built around him the past centuries and we get to know the real Rowan and his experiences and it was amazing. The bond that they have was one of a kind and I appreciate Rowan for being there for Aelin when all her friends were in Erilea and can't do much about anything. I like that he's this older/ancient brother to Aelin, protector (not in a creepy way because he knows how capable Aelin is in protecting herself) and someone who understands her experience, empathize with what she's gone through and promised to be there on her side to whatever end. It was such a sacred relationship. They understand and accept each other. That was HoF. Then, in QoS, he became Christian Grey. And OMG, I loathed Christian Grey. And I will leave it at that.

Celaena/Aelin.
Dropping Celaena is unncessary and irrelevant because it's her. I know she wants to redeem Aelin but she is also Celaena. If being a badass Queen Aelin means that she'll slaughter everyone who comes her way and even kill her friend Dorian and save only who she wants then that's not the Queen I like to follow I'd rather follow Celaena who's an assassin but thinks of everyone that can be saved, who will spare the lives of those people who are innocent, who is forgiving and a sympathizer to anyone but her enemies and only her enemies alone. Celaena was more a hero than Aelin so I don't know why Celaena is being drop like she's dead and be awaken from deathbed if Aelin needs to kill. Celaena was more than just an assassin. Not much character development for Aelin here, her character didn't even unravel herself more. You know, she just wants to finish her plans in Rifthold and be done with it. I don't feel invested in Aelin than I am with Celaena. And I'm waiting for someone to say those shits to Aelin but, unfortunately, no one said it. I'm rooting for Chaol, but, ugh. I even appreciate Asterin calling Manon for what she did more than Aelin's court just following her orders and adoring her.

I don't hate the book. It's just not my favorite and probably not the best in the series so far. I hope it will pick where it has gone wrong in books 5 and 6. I really hope.
Crown Midnight is still my favorite book. I know so much has changed but changing doesn't mean forgetting. Or leaving things unexplained. I will still continue on with the series. This is 4 stars because of how the story unfolds and it was grand and epic and amazing.

Magic has returned. When it returned, I liked that we see glimpses from every corner of Rifthold and how magical people felt it.

The whole revelation of Erawan being the demon that was burried alive and not dead or defeated was big gateway to a larger content of the story. I'm waiting for Wendlyn to come into play. I hope there's a big war and each party has a big army. I hope in the next book it's about gaining an army and we will travel across Erilea.

The king being not the villain afterall and was in fact being possessed by a valg demon was insane. That Duke Perrington was actually possessed by Erawan. What the eff is happening? It's gonna be big next book. Again, I hope SJM will set aside these ships and focus on the story and character arc. 

Arobynn was dead but who's giving out his letters and revealing Lysandra's true self?

All throughout the book I was waiting for Sam to show up. I have this unpopular theory that he's not dead yet because Celaena didn't recognize his face but just accepted that it's him. I still think he's alive.

Will Duke Perrington and Vernon go to stone castle?

What is up to with Manon's Grandmother?  What will happen to her negotiation with the King now that the king is dead and Dorian came back.

Elide has the second wyrdkey. I was hoping that Kaltain will be the one to give it to Celaena. What a reunion it will be. See? Celaena symphatize with Kaltain but Aelin didn't even think of her.

My favorite scenes were:
  • Aedion's rescue
  • Manon and Aelin's battle
  • Asterin's revelation
  • Dorian's rescue
  • Aelin and Dorian destroying the Glass Castle

That's all I have to say about this book! This review is quite long actually. I really hope the book gets better!

Share your thoughts! Thanks for reading this! :)

Love, Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment