Saturday 2 July 2016

June Book Haul, June Wrap Up and July TBR

Let's get down to it!

June Book Haul

I didn't buy much book this month because I planned to trim down by TBR first before buying more books.
Chapters 34 and 35 of Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan (illustrations by John Rocco)
That's what I bought for the month of June!



June Wrap Up

I read 11 books this month - including graphic novels.

I finished The Heroes of Olympus series, finally! Last year, I read the first two books and this month I decided to finish books 3 to 5 and I did just that.

   
I think this is a great series, very enjoyable and very funny. If there's one thing that's bothering me about Rick Riordan's stories, they're quite repetitive. Like we have a quest, and they will go the quest, they will meet other different gods and they will finish the quest. The quest feels easy for them but it's alright - this is meant for middle grade. But nevertheless, I enjoyed reading this. My favorite is The House of Hades because the character development is on point. And character development is rare in Riordan's books, so this is something. I love that everyone has their time to shine. And Nico Di Angelo, OMG, his revelation in The House of Hades is truly amazing. But I don't know, the last book was kind of a let down. The battle between Gaea and the demigods didn't live up to the build up of it from Books 1 to 4. It was MEH. Terrible and at some point I was confused. There's a Nico POV which I love and appreciate but there's no Percy POV. What in the world would allow a final book without Percy's POV. Everybody loves Percy. Give us Percy. Didn't really like much the last book. But was glad I finished the series and I can't wait to start Trials of Apollo!

Mark of Athena: 5/5 stars
The House of Hades: 5/5 stars
The Blood of Olympus: 3.5/5 stars

Add to the trimming down of TBR pile, I managed to finished Si by Bob Ong. Bob is a local author here in our country and he started writing short stories and I make it a point I read his works because he's a good writer.
This is a bit heart-melting. The author managed to made me feel what he wanted me to feel in every chapter of this book.

Si: 4/5 stars

I read a bunch of DC comics in ebook format.
I was really intrigued in all this DC Universe Rebirth thing so I read it.
I was also really intrigued in Flashpoint because I really love the TV series and I wanted to know what happen after (Spoiler Alert!) Barry changed the past - and when Grant Gustin confirmed they're going to do Flashpoint in Season 3, I know I have to read this. And, it's crazy, what happened in Flashpoint. Chaos and all and can't wait to see which part they going to include in the TV series because according to Grant, they're gonna do it their way. Okay, can we also have a rebirth of Arrow, the TV series? And like make it really parallel to the comics? I don't know I think my love for it will come back somehow. LOL.

DC Universe Rebirth #1: 5/5 stars
Flashpoint: 5/5stars
Batman Rebirth #1: 3/5 stars
Green Arrow Rebirth #1: 5/5 stars

Of course I also read the 2 chapters of Saga - which I forgot what happened but enjoyed it the time I was reading it. Haha

Saga #34: 4/5 stars
Saga #35: 3/5 stars

I gave in to the hype and the hype fails me. I was really intrigued with the hype surrounding Colleen Hoover's books. I heard so many good things about her books from everywhere. The first time I read one of her books, it was alright. Not stunning but alright. It was Slammed. Then I read Hopeless - DNF. So, I tried again hoping against hope that this time it will be different. But OMG, no. I still didn't like her books. Just not for me, I guess.
I find it very shallow and too instalove. I can feel that the author is trying to be funny by injecting sarcastically funny remarks but it didn't work for me, it's not funny. I can also feel that the author is trying to give me deep realizations but it feels fake deep and no substance. OMG, I'm sorry. It's just that, I don't really like it. I will most probably not read any more Colleen Hoover books in the future.

Confess: 1/5 stars

I started reading One Day in June but finished this July so that's included in the July wrap up. LOL
But I wrote a review for it here.


July TBR
  • The Revenge of Seven by Pittacus Lore
  • The Fate of Ten by Pittacus Lore
  • To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
  • The Flash Rebirth #1 by Joshua Williamson
  • Saga #36 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • P.S. I Like You by Kasie West (Out July 26!)
That's it for this post!
Thanks for reading this!

Have you read any of the books I've mentioned above?
Let's discuss!

Love, Kaye =)


No comments:

Post a Comment