Wednesday 13 April 2016

LADY MIDNIGHT Thoughts and Feels

Lady Midnight is the first book in the new trilogy, The Dark Artifices, by Cassandra Clare.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!!

At this point, I've read 30 of Cassandra Clare's books and novellas and all of them are about Shadowhunters!

We’re going to do this again because I wouldn’t want to spoil anyone albeit no one’s really reading my blog. LOL. Cassie (Cassandra Clare) said that her series or trilogy can be read independently of each other. Like you don’t really have to read TMI or TID or TBC or TSA if you plan on reading Lady Midnight. BUT, I highly suggest and recommend people to read all of it because there are references in the books that you will appreciate more if you’ve read all of them.

Let’s begin with some non-spoilery thoughts:

So Lady Midnight takes place 5 years after the Dark War (happened in TMI) in Idris and follows Emma Carstairs as our new protagonist along with all the Blackthorn kids. Emma was out and about investigating the death of her parents in order for her to find who is responsible for their death so she can revenge them. That’s the basic plot of LM until the plot gets bigger that gives us a very interesting and rich story Cassie has ever made.

I don’t usually like Cassie's first book in a series not even with her series of novellas but this one? I LOVE IT.
The plot was carefully written and in such a way that readers will not figure it out – which is always an amazing thing for me when authors can surprise me like that. I appreciate the world building and how different LA Institute with other institutes that we’ve known - and the view! By the beach! And of course, the characters were written beautifully and when I say beautifully I don’t mean perfect with no flaws but actually the opposite – the characters are flawed, diverse, and each their own person and contribute uniquely in the entirety of the story. When I met the Blackthorn kids in CoHF and knew what they’ve been through and that they’ll have their own book series, I knew right there and then that these kids will give me so many feels when I read LM/TDA. And yes, they gave me too many feels. I can’t wait to get to know more about them. Their story is really intriguing as well the tragedy or the “problematic” story of their ancestors. The Blackthorn bloodline kind of always caught themselves in a tragic/problematic situation maybe that’s why they have that family motto: Lex malla, lex nulla (A bad law is no law).
But as far as characters are concerned, it’s not just the Blackthorns that are interesting; there are also new characters that we’ve only met here in LM. Some characters from the previous books made an appearance as well.

Like in all of Shadowhunters books, there will always be an element of love, blood (could mean family or death), betrayal and revenge.

I guess that’s for the non-spoilery thoughts.

Clockwork Princess and Lady Midnight are my favorite Shadowhunters books to date!

Now, to the spoilery thoughts and feels...

**WARNING**
**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Meeting Kit, son of Johnny Rook, in the prologue in the Shadow Market gave me the vibe that we will have more of Kit in the story but I have no idea how, when or what will be his role in the story - who is Johnny Rook? Why is Kit his greatest secret? I thought that he’ll be more interested in the shadowhunters affair or downworlders that he’ll be nosy with his father’s work and he’ll soon find out the secrets his father were keeping that will help Emma find the lead to the murders. But, no. That didn’t happen at all. Fast forward to the ending, we learned that Kit’s real name is actually Christopher Jonathan Herondale.. WHAT?! That blew my mind! He is the lost Herondale! Descendant of Tobias Herondale. I thought Emma contacted Tessa and Jem to ask for their help in Johnny Rook's house I didn't think that Jessa went there by themselves because they're searching for Kit!
Kit found new shelter in LA Institute which I means that we will see more of him in Lord of Shadows. I never knew until I saw on tumblr that people are actually asking about Kit and Ty’s storyline in the next books. Like, will they become friends or more than friends? LIKE OMG. I’M SO EXCITED TO KNOW.

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: Some Kit, some Ty, and some KitTy

One thing I like about this new series is that Cassie wrote more characters that are part of LGBT+ and I think it’s a good way to be represented like that. And not just LGBT+ but also person-of-color like Christina and Diego.

I side-eye Christina for a good while because she’s a new character and I don’t know much about her although to be fair she’s not doing anything that will make me doubt her agenda. It’s just really that I’m wary with new characters. But it turns out, she’s a good egg and I like that Emma has a friend she could turn to for some things that she couldn’t say to others – you know, girly stuff that only girl friends would understand.
The reason that made her leave Mexico Institute was awful. It’s one thing to be betrayed and be used by other people but it’s another thing when your best friend (Jaime) is the one who’s thinking of doing that. She’s also under the assumption that since Jaime was talking to Diego that night she overhead Jaime, that Diego was in on the plan. We knew in the later part of LM that Diego disagrees with Jaime and Christina wasn’t able to hear it. I think Christina is a great supporting character and I think Emma needs her to be there. Christina gives some good and sound advice. Will Christina stay in the LA institute or like how long she’s going to be there before she goes back to Mexico? While reading some blog posts of Cassie, yes, Christina will still be in LA Institute in the book. But, when will she sort out what she left behind in Mexico?

Can I talk about Martina? I like Marktina the first time it’s offered to us in the story because I feel like it’s a breath of fresh of fresh air for both of them. It's something new with no expectations of each other and that would be amazing for all that they’ve been through. But then, Christina saw Kieran and Mark kiss and I just felt – I don’t know what I actually felt just that the pull of Kierark feelings for each other is too much and knowing that they have each other when there’s no one else to be there for them I think is special in a way. I shift ship from Marktina to Kierark immediately!

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: Marktina and Kierark Little Snippet from Lord of Shadows

We met perfect Diego. :D
He is with the Scholomance which is pretty cool in the sense that it’s new and it’s implied that Ty would want to go there even though he hasn’t said anything about it yet. Will Diego tell the whole story to the Council once he gets back to Scholomance? Can Scholomancer get married and have a family or not? I don’t know. Maybe since I don’t remember it being a sacred vow or something? I’m not sure. Don’t quote me.

I don’t pay that much attention to Diana and I’m not invested in her character. She's shady though.

I bet I'm not the only one who trusted Malcolm Fade at first. I mean, why wouldn't we, right? So far all of warlocks we met are all good people - Magnus, Catarina, Tessa. We have so much trust to warlocks that we didn't see Malcolm betraying us. Working behind our backs ordering chosen people to commit murder. Malcolm was eaten by his own grief that he doesn't care if other people are getting hurt. He's even doing a dark forbidden magic to bring back the one he loves, Annabel. He's half demon; I think Malcolm will be back in book 2. Now that Annabel has opened her eyes. Is she back from the dead or did she just open her eyes like when Annabel moved when the first sacrifice was successful? You know, like a twitch?

Extra Readings from Cassie's Tumblr Post:
  1. About Malcolm being the villain
  2. About Annabel Opening Her Eyes 
This time we’re dealing with faeries. Tricky little faeries. We’ve met the Seelie Court before in TMI and here we met the Wild Hunt and the Unseelie Court.
I never thought we would have Mark Blackthorn back at the beginning of the book! The Wild Hunt made a bargain with Arthur Blackthorn to investigate the murders that’s happening in LA because most of them are faeries or half faeries and for the Blackthorns to agree to investigate the murders (faeries can’t investigate it on their own because of the Cold Peace. Supposedly, Shadowhunters should not deal with faeries as well because of Cold Peace, too) the Blackthorns could have Mark through the duration of the investigation and when they succeed to find the murderer, they will let Mark choose to stay in LA Institute or go back with the Hunt. Pretty easy? I think so. But I’m just glad Mark’s back eventhough what they did to him in the Hunt was horrible. Mark does not remember them anymore because they aged while he didn’t and when he got taken away they were all just children. Fortunately, Mark came through. And stayed! YES. It’s obvious he’ll stay aside from the fact that we still have 2 books, in his flashbacks, he made it perfectly clear that he is a shadowhunter and while his mind and body are missing the sky/Hunt, I still think being a shadowhunter matters to him the most, his family especially.

Like I said, I like Kierark. But what Kieran did to Mark and Julian and Emma was a big thing that I couldn’t just forget although he comes around in the end. But it’s so sad when Mark was saying goodbye to him and Mark sees “a great wilderness of loneliness. A thousand dark nights spent riding with no home to arrive at.” AWWWW
BUT! We will have more of Kieran in the next book! And that’s a whole lot of possibilities for both of them. Will Kieran be able to be freed from the Hunt if say he would like to be with Mark? I don’t know. I hope so. They both deserve to be happy!!

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: Marktina and Kierark Little Snippet from Lord of Shadows

The flogging was probably the hardest chapter to read in LM. It's just too much. The emotion and the pain and cruelty of it. I'm with them in this agony because it was taking them too long to decide who will take the whip. For a little while when Iarlath was whipping Julian, why did Gwyn ask Iarlath to stop? Does he somehow sympathize with Mark's family? And why didn't he let Mark go to receive the whip instead of Emma? Hmmm?

Speaking of Emma.. Is it Emmark or Memma? Lol. I know it's a lie but the freaking book ended in "Why lie?" said by Mark and like... WHAT?!?!
I don't like this. Imagine what will happen with the relationship of the Mark and Julian and all of them. How will it affect them? But Cassie said, it's the only option for Emma and she would do anything to save Julian and the kids.

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: About the 'Why Lie?' Ending

I love all the Blackthorn kids. After all that they've been through at such a young age, it's admiring and heartwarming to see them quite intact and that the love for each other is floating in their home. Thanks to Jules! My favorite Blackthorns are Julian and Ty. I like reading about Ty and how passionate he is with what he does. I like the confidence and the spirit of the twins. I would love to know more about Drusilla - it feels like she has less "airtime" in LM. Tavvy is too young for all this. I love that Tavvy was the one who figured about the fairytale book. It was surreal but also amazing!

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: About Ty and (His) Autism

There was a funny moment early in the book I think when the twins would play on Mark and Mark will actually believe them. Like the suit (or no suit) he wore for the Lottery event. LMAO
LOL I just remember the kitchen scene with Mark and his siblings. I would love to read the POV of anyone inside the kitchen that time. Think it's going to be great.

Julian is the exact definition of an iceberg. If you're above water all you can see is the small part of who he is but deep down he's more than that. There's more to him than meets the eye. It's what I like about him and it's also what makes me scared about him. Like he's not scary scary but I'm just scared for him for the things he could and willing to do to keep his family, to save the one he loves. Remember when he's telling the story about Malcolm Fade and Faeries arrangement with them without making any party guilty - it's a great skill. A scary one too. Julian's character is the most interesting I guess. He's strong but he's also gentle and yet he can be ruthless. What will become of him when he learn about Emma and Mark? Even if it's fake. I have this guess that Julian will be in dark place in his self when he learned that. Not really bad, but maybe cold and distant. But they're still parabatai, so the bond will always be there. How will Emma's choice change them both individually and as parabatai?
Since when we (fully) meet Jemma in LM, they're already parabatai and Julian is already in love with her. I'd like to see some snippets of when they were young and just enjoying their friendship.

I was laughing screaming inside the train when I read about Emma having a safe sex rune. I laughed some more because I remember Jace bringing condom in Edom. LMAO
It crossed my mind the question why Emma has a safe sex rune but didn't really spend much time thinking why really. Is she having sex with other person? Or is it to help the menstruation cycle? Then yeah, Cassie cleared it that it's implied Emma isn't a virgin when Jemma did it.

Bonus!!
Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post:
  1. Extended and More Graphic Sex Scene of Julian and Emma
  2. Emma and her virginity

I have a problem with Emma in the early part of the book. Her strong and badass personality is very familiar in the world of YA with a girl protagonist not that it's bad it's just it's too mainstream. I also hope she won't be Clary 2.0. One of the good things about Cassie's books is that all of the characters have different sound and personality and that's what happened when I get to know Emma. She is her own person and she loves deeply and cares even for the people she's not related to. It’s just sometimes her assertiveness rubs me off the wrong way.

Thank the lord, previous characters only appeared at the end although they've been mentioned a few times in the book. I can't when Emma really look up to Jace and Clary, the greatest warriors of this generation. What the heck. Stop. LOL
To be honest, I've been waiting for Jem to show up early on. Also Simon because TSA but I know that this isn't his story anymore. But Jem!! I just want some Carstairs bonding, give it to me....

The question all of us have for sure is that: will there be a loop hole in the parabatai bond? Jem's story is pretty scary that's why immediately Emma came to Mark for help.

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: About Parabatai Curse

Favorite moments:
  • When Emma healed Julian using their amazingly powerful rune that if not for that Julian will be dead because the arrow that shot him was poisoned. That was also when Emma started to realize feelings for Julian and Livvy cockblocked them!
  • Mark saying goodbye to Kieran after defeating Malcolm. It breaks my heart.
  • Pancake Day. I just love the simplicity of it.
  • Jemma's dance in the lottery.

I'm so excited for Lord of Shadows! It will be out April 2017!

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: LoS snippet

Extra Reading from Cassie's Tumblr Post: Cassie's Upcoming Shadowhunters books

I'm sorry this is too long! Did you read all of it? :D

tl; dr: I love Lady Midnight and I can't wait for Lord of Shadows!

What are your thoughts about LM? Did you like it? Why and why not? What's your favorite part? Let me know!

Thanks for reading this!


Love, Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment